Dear Cook, for most of our family, and extended family, there was only one baked bean recipe, as it had been for my mother. I have eaten the same beans all my life – that’s a long time. But once my friend, Joan, offered to bring baked beans to our small-group, Bible study meal, I had a dilemma. “Which beans should I make for my family?” So, this week I am giving you Joan’s recipe, next week, my mother’s. Perhaps, you can help me decide, “Which beans should I make?”
For a printed copy, with or without photo, click green dot on left side at the bottom of this page.
If you would like a Monday reminder, and quick link, in your email to next week’s post, just sign-in at the secure registry at the top of this page, and click GO. For a private conversation, please write your message on the Contact page found at the right on the Home Page.
|Joan’s Baked Beans|| |
- Brown and sauté:
- ½ lb. bacon, cut in ½ inch pieces
- medium onion, chopped
- In small fry pan, brown bacon pieces. Add onion and saute.
- Save all the bacon/onion drippings to add to the beans.
- 15½ ounce, dark kidney beans, drained
- 15½ ounce, lima beans, drained
- 3 lbs 5.5 ounces Campbell's Pork & Beans, not drained
- 1 cup catsup
- ½ t. Tabasco sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 t. dry mustard
- 1 T. Worcestershire sauce
- Add bacon, onions and drippings.
- Bake, uncovered, in 2 & ½ quart casserole dish at 330 for 1 & ½ hours. If dry, add a few teaspoons of water.