NEW RECIPE: Dear One, when Ron retired he knew very, VERY little about cooking. After years of retirement, he now even contributes to company meals. Sometimes even making the entrée. And I have, for some time, become used to catching him paging through one of my cookbooks. He seems to be drawn to recipes that I have not made in a long time or have never made. He has also gotten adept at checking out the Internet for interesting dishes.
When he first made Beef Barley Soup, we thought it was delicious. We gave it an A+. He made it again for company. It seemed odd for him to be the one being asked for the recipe!
If this soup recipe piques your interest, be sure to get it started in the morning or make it a day ahead. It cooks in a crock pot on low for six to eight hours, most likely eight. The longer it lasts, the better it tastes, that is – until it doesn’t.
For a printed copy, with or without photo, click green dot on left side at the bottom of this page.
If you would like a Monday reminder, and quick link, in your email to next week’s post, just sign-in at the secure registry at the top of this page, and click GO. For a private conversation, please write your message on the Contact page found at the right on the Home Page.
|Beef Barley Soup A+|| |
- 1 & ½ pound boneless lean beef, cubed
- 3 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth - for total of 31.5 ounces
- 6 cups water
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup barley
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the beef in the oil for 5 minutes, or until browned.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, and garlic powder and place seasoned meat in a slow cooker.
- Add a little water to the skillet and stir to pick up the browned bits.
- Add to the slow cooker.
- Add the broth, water, celery, carrots, green onions, parsley, and barley.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours, or until the vegetables and barley are tender.
- Add the thyme just before serving.
- Makes 10 to 12 servings.