Dear Cook, for this recipe, don’t even think of using any beans other than Campbell’s Pork and Beans, even though my mother is in heaven, she would not like that. 🙂 For three generations, this recipe has been our one-and-only. That was until recently, when I tasted Joan’s recipe, the recipe I shared two weeks. I am now undecided, which is best? If you happen to make them both, please let me know your preference. Thanks.
Lately, I have had trouble finding the large cans of beans, the 53 & 1/4 ounce cans. So, I ordered a case from Amazon.
For a printed copy, with or without photo, click green dot on left side at the bottom of this page.
If you would like a Monday reminder, and quick link, in your email to next week’s post, just sign-in at the secure registry at the top of this page, and click GO. For a private conversation, please write your message on the Contact page found at the right on the Home Page.
|Box Family Baked Beans|| |
- 1 pound bacon - high quality
- 2 cans Campbell’s Pork and Beans, 53&¼ each
- 1 & ⅓ cups diced onions
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup catsup
- Line bottom and sides of a heavy 4-quart pot with ½ inch pieces of bacon.
- Reserve enough to cover top.
- In a separate bowl, mix beans, onions, sugar and catsup.
- Mix well, and pour into bacon lined pot.
- Cover top with bacon.
- Bake uncovered at 350 for 3 hours.
- Let rest 15 minutes before serving.
- These are better the second day, reheat at 275.