Until I seriously dieted, I never liked mushrooms. Liking mushrooms is now the only benefit left from that season of my life. For the weight I lost during that time – has found its way back home. This ‘Prodigal’ is far from welcome!
The first thing I learned about fresh mushrooms is that they should not be washed, merely wiped clean. Sorry, that will not do for me. Apparently fresh mushrooms are like sponges, and absorb water. So, the day before I plan on using them, I quickly rinse them under running cold water, one by one, and let them completely dry on paper towel. After drying, I place them in the refrigerator, uncovered. If you cannot stand to have anything in the refrigerator left uncovered, cover them, but leave air flow openings. I like most everything covered too. 🙂
|Mouthwatering Stuffed Mushrooms|| |
- 12 whole fresh mushrooms -medium size
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Rinse one mushroom at a time, removing specs.
- Let dry.
- Carefully cut out stems, and fanning to create a bowl.
- Discard tough ends of stems.
- Chop stems and fanning extremely fine.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and chopped mushroom stem mixture to the skillet.
- Fry, stirring, until any moisture has disappeared, taking care not to burn garlic.
- Set aside to cool.
- When garlic and mushroom pieces are no longer hot, stir in rest of ingredients.
- Mixture should be very thick.
- Using a little spoon, fill each mushroom cap with a generous amount of stuffing.
- Arrange the mushroom caps on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes - until the mushrooms are piping hot and liquid forms under caps.
- Move mushrooms from baking sheet to paper towel, from towel to serving tray.
- Can be prepared a day ahead. Reheat in low oven.
If you would like a Monday reminder, and quick link in your email, to next week’s post just sign-in at the secure registry at the top of this page.