For most of our family, and extended family, there is only one baked bean recipe, as it was for my mother. I have eaten the same beans all my life – that’s a long time. Then, just recently, my friend Joan offered to bring baked beans to our small-group meal. And after tasting hers, I had a dilemma… “Which beans should I make?” So, this week I am giving you Joan’s recipe, next week, my mother’s. Perhaps, you can help me, “Which beans should I make?”
|Joan’s Baked Beans|| |
- Brown and sauté:
- ½ lb. bacon, cut in ½ inch pieces
- medium onion, chopped
- In small fry pan, brown bacon pieces. Add onion and saute.
- Save all the bacon/onion drippings to add to the beans.
- 15½ ounce, dark kidney beans, drained
- 15½ ounce, lima beans, drained
- 3 lbs 5.5 ounces Campbell's Pork & Beans, not drained
- 1 cup catsup
- ½ t. Tabasco sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 t. dry mustard
- 1 T. Worcestershire sauce
- Add bacon, onions and drippings.
- Bake, uncovered, in 2 & ½ quart casserole dish at 330 for 1 & ½ hours. If dry, add a few teaspoons of water.